Saturday, April 1, 2017

Natural Consequences

So obviously, I am not a parent and I most likely will not be one anytime soon. That being said, I can still start preparing to be a mother now. I think one of the most interesting things I have learned recently though, is when a child gets into a situation and they own the problem, they deal with the natural consequences of the event. I find that really interesting because I am not even a mother yet and I feel like I would want to step in and make sure my child was okay. But the best thing for the child, as long as it isn't dangerous, affects someone else, or the consequence is too far in the future, would be to let them handle it themselves. It sounds kind of weird at first, but it makes sense if you think about it. What could I possible teach them that they wouldn't learn if they had to deal with the natural consequence? Now a natural consequence is anything that happens because directly because of the situation, without any interference from the parents. A parent should still be there as a support system, but not the problem solver. It shows the child that the parent trust and respects them enough to be able to handle it themselves. Children probably won't think that right away, it will probably frustrate them, but eventually they will probably realize. It sounds really hard, I can't even imagine doing it. But letting your children learn from their mistakes is probably one of the best ways to show that you love them in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment